We’re delighted to be running our guided Hill Trips daily – these are available to be booked 30 days in advance via the link lower down the page. All tickets should be pre-booked where possible to reduce congestion and keep contact to a minimum. Limited tickets may be available on the day if a Hill Trip has not sold out in advance, but this is in no way guaranteed (and it’s quicker and easier if you can book online!).
What is the Hill Trip?
Please have a watch of the video below, which aims to give an idea of the Hill Trip from May – December. Do note that from February – April conditions are much more extreme.
Hill Trips begin with a short drive along the main road, which you use your own vehicle for, followed by a guided 30 minute walk up to the reindeer. This is mostly along a rough mountain path before heading off (click to see) onto the open hillside, and does drop steeply into a valley and back up the other side, but we go at a relaxed pace and take our time, so it is usually suitable for most ages and abilities as long as everyone has a basic level of fitness.
Once up on the hill with the reindeer, you will be right in amongst the herd, with plenty of information given by the herder and the opportunity to take photos. The whole trip usually lasts around 1.5 – 2 hours, depending on the reindeer and the weather! The ground can be muddy, wet, snowy or icy, so wellies or hiking boots are ESSENTIAL (we no longer offer welly hire), as is a waterproof jacket and warm clothing.
The Hill Trip includes entry to our Paddocks.
Hill Trip Prices:
Age 3 and under are free.
How do I book?
Through our booking calendar, at the bottom of this page! Limited tickets may be available in person on the day, but it’s best to book ahead to avoid disappointment. Tickets are available from 30 days in advance, opening on the hour of the future activity.
What has changed with regards to Covid-19?
- We are more hands-off with our reindeer, with no patting/stroking and a shorter hand-feeding session.
- No welly hire available – you MUST arrive with your own suitable footwear and clothing – click here to see what you need to wear.
- We can’t offer lifts to anyone without their own transport.
By booking with us, there is the following agreement in place:
- You’ll arrive at the Centre with at least 20 minutes to spare in order to collect your tickets before driving to the meeting location. Late arrivals will not be able to “catch up” if the Trip has already departed and we cannot offer a refund, so please allow extra time for your journey.
- There is an uphill drive of several miles from the Reindeer Centre to the meeting place, which you must have your own vehicle for. If you plan to walk to the meeting place instead, you must collect your tickets at LEAST 1 hour before the Trip, to have time to walk up.
- Your group MUST all be wearing suitable footwear: wellies or hiking boots with a good tread. If you arrive with inadequate footwear then we’ll be unable to take you on the Trip for safety reasons. This is really important, so please look at our What To Wear information page and check with us if you’re not sure. We will NOT offer a refund if you arrive with the wrong footwear.
- Your group are all physically capable of a 30 minute mountain walk over uneven/wet/slippery ground.
- In winter, we occasionally have to cancel a Hill Trip or restrict it to adults only if the weather conditions are too extreme. We will contact you to either refund or reschedule in this instance.