We’re delighted to be running our guided Hill Trips daily – these are available to be booked 30 days in advance via the link lower down the page. All tickets should be pre-booked where possible to reduce congestion and keep contact to a minimum. Limited tickets may be available on the day if a Hill Trip has not sold out in advance, but this is in no way guaranteed (and it’s quicker and easier if you can book online!).
What is the Hill Trip?
Hill Trips begin with a short drive along the main road, which you use your own vehicle for, followed by a guided 30 minute walk up to the reindeer. This is mostly along a rough mountain path before heading off (click to see) onto the open hillside, and does drop steeply into a valley and back up the other side, but we go at a relaxed pace and take our time, so it is usually suitable for most ages and abilities as long as everyone has a basic level of fitness. Once up on the hill with the reindeer, you will be right in amongst the herd, with plenty of information given by the herder and the opportunity to take photos. The whole trip usually lasts around 1.5 – 2 hours, depending on the reindeer and the weather! The ground can be muddy, wet, snowy or icy, so wellies or hiking boots are ESSENTIAL (we no longer offer welly hire), as is a waterproof jacket and very warm clothing.
The Hill Trip includes entry to our Paddocks.
Hill Trip Prices:
Age 3 and under are free.
How do I book?
Through our booking calendar, at the bottom of this page! Limited tickets may be available in person on the day, but it’s best to book ahead to avoid disappointment. Tickets are available up to 30 days in advance, opening on the hour of the future activity.
What has changed with regards to Covid-19?
- We are more hands-off with our reindeer, with no patting/stroking and a shorter hand-feeding session.
- No welly hire available – you MUST arrive with your own suitable footwear and clothing – click here to see what you need to wear.
- We can’t offer lifts to anyone without their own transport
- Our group sizes will be smaller to allow more social distancing – this one is a positive!
- In line with Scottish Government rules, face coverings will be mandatory in our shop (but not on the Hill Trip), except for the under 12s and anyone with a valid medical reason not to wear one.
By booking with us, there is the following agreement in place:
- You’ll arrive at the Centre with at least 20 minutes to spare in order to collect your tickets before driving to the meeting location. Late arrivals will not be able to “catch up” if the Trip has already departed and we cannot offer a refund, so please allow extra time for your journey.
- There is an uphill drive of about 1.6 miles from the Reindeer Centre to the meeting place, which you must have your own vehicle for. If you’re planning to walk this distance you must schedule in enough time (45-60 mins) after collecting your ticket to reach the meeting place in time for your Trip.
- Your group MUST all be wearing suitable footwear: wellies or hiking boots with a good tread. If you arrive with inadequate footwear then we’ll be unable to take you on the Trip for safety reasons. This is really important, so please look at our What To Wear information page and check with us if you’re not sure. We will NOT offer a refund if you arrive with the wrong footwear.
- Your group are all physically capable of a 30 minute mountain walk over very uneven/wet/slippery ground.
- We run Hill Trips in all weathers – so if you are lucky enough to have authentic Scottish rain/snow for your booked Trip then we cannot offer a refund – bring the right clothes and enjoy the experience! In winter, warm, waterproof clothing, a hat and gloves are essential. Beware temperatures can easily feel as low as -15 with windchill!
- Please be respectful of other visitors and staff and give everyone space.
- Please keep in mind that we have no toilet facilities – the nearest public ones are at Loch Morlich Beach car park, a short drive away from the Centre.
- If any member of your party is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, then we cannot take you on the Hill Trip – you must stay at home. Please telephone us (01479 861228) if you have already made a booking.
- If government restrictions tighten, or one of our resident staff contracts COVID-19, we may be forced to close again at short notice. In this instance we will contact you and either issue a full refund or reschedule your Trip, as you prefer. In winter, we occasionally have to cancel a Hill Trip or restrict it to adults only if the weather conditions are too extreme. Again, we will contact you to either refund or reschedule in this instance.
- We will keep your contact details on file for 3 weeks after your Hill Trip to aid with the Scottish ‘Test and Protect’ system.