We’re delighted to be running our guided Hill Trips daily – these are available to be booked from 30 days in advance via the link lower down the page. It is highly recommended that you pre-book tickets, especially in holiday seasons.
***Please note: The Reindeer Centre will be closed on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day, and then from Monday 8th January 2024 – reopening for the season on Saturday 10th February 2024.***
What is the Hill Trip?
Please have a watch of the video below, which aims to give an idea of the Hill Trip from May – December. Do note that from February – April conditions are much more extreme, and during this period we have an age limit of 4 years old.
Hill Trips begin with a short drive along the main road, which you use your own vehicle for (small parking fee may apply), followed by a guided 40 minute walk up to the reindeer. From February to April, this Trip generally involves a much steeper and trickier walk than the rest of the year, over difficult terrain (with no path) and in adverse weather conditions. Due to this we have made the decision not to take children under the age of 4 (in carriers or on foot) from Feb to Apr, and also recommend that families with children under the age of 12 would be better to visit from May – December, when conditions are more suitable. Adults should be confident walking on rough terrain and have a good level of fitness. This year we are excited to offer our Seasonal Herder Talks in the Paddocks during February afternoons, allowing those who can’t take part in our Hill Trips due to the weather or difficult terrain, offering a personal introduction to the reindeer in the more sheltered conditions in the glen. Please click here to find out more.
Once with the reindeer, you will be right in amongst the herd, within a metre of the reindeer, with plenty of information given by the herder and the opportunity to take photos. There is an opportunity for a short hand-feeding session, but we are otherwise hands-off with the reindeer. The whole trip usually lasts around 1.5 – 2 hours, depending on the reindeer and the weather! The ground can be muddy, wet, snowy or icy, so wellies or hiking boots are ESSENTIAL (please click to see), as is a waterproof jacket, waterproof overtrousers, and very warm clothing. If you arrive inadequately dressed then we’ll be unable to take you on the Trip for safety reasons. This is really important, so please look at the clothing guide on the website and check with us if you’re not sure. We will NOT offer a refund if you arrive with the wrong kit. The Hill Trip includes entry to our Paddocks.
Hill Trip Prices:
Adults (17+): £22
Children (3-16): £15
Age 2 and under are free.
How do I book?
Through our booking calendar at the bottom of this page! Limited tickets may be available in person on the day if a Trip hasn’t sold out advance, but it’s highly recommended to book ahead to avoid disappointment. Tickets are available from 30 days in advance, opening on the hour of the future activity.
Things to know before you book
- We are now more hands-off with our reindeer than in the past, with no patting/stroking and a shorter hand-feeding session. The reindeer will still come extremely close to visitors however, and we have found this means they are more relaxed and they will hang out in close proximity for longer.
- You will need to arrive at the Centre with at least 20 minutes to spare in order to collect your tickets before driving to the meeting location. Late arrivals will not be able to “catch up” if the Trip has already departed and we cannot offer a refund, so please allow extra time for your journey.
- There is an uphill drive of several miles from the Reindeer Centre to the meeting place, which you must have your own vehicle for. In summer you can walk to the meeting point, but need to arrive at least 45 minutes early to have time to do this. It’s not possible to walk to the meeting place from February to April.
- Your group MUST all be wearing suitable footwear: wellies or hiking boots with a good tread. If you arrive with inadequate footwear/clothing then we’ll be unable to take you on the Trip for safety reasons. This is really important, so please look at our What To Wear information page and check with us if you’re not sure. We will NOT offer a refund if you arrive with the wrong footwear. We have very limited ’emergency’ welly hire available, but please don’t rely on this as we CANNOT guarantee we will have your size.
- Your group must all be physically capable of a mountain walk over uneven/wet/slippery ground.
- In winter, we occasionally have to cancel a Hill Trip or restrict it to adults only if the weather conditions are too extreme. We will contact you to either refund or reschedule in this instance.
***Hill Trips on weekends in December and during holiday seasons sell out EXTREMELY quickly! We do not have a waiting list for tickets, but any cancellations will be released automatically back on to the website, so keep checking back if you have missed out.***